Friday, January 31, 2014

Grease Stains

This next test comes from my childhood BFF Shauna.  She's a cool chick, and we go way back to our good old gymnastics days.

She must still know me pretty well, because she sent me this pin about getting grease stains out of clothes with chalk.  Shauna, how did you know I frequently stain my clothes with grease from a good batch of onion rings?  Or chicken fingers?  Or burritos?  Or whatever.  :)

So I have this cute dress, the dress I wore when I got married in December in fact, and somehow (I'm sure none of the above scenarios apply here), there is a grease stain right in the middle of the front of the dress.  Ugh.  So annoying.  So I decided to try this out and see if it works.

So I usurped one of Gretta's chalks from her super duper big craft box, and proceeded to lightly rub it on the grease stain.  I was nervous because I didn't want to press too hard and ruin the fabric.  Then I tossed it in the wash with all the other dark colors I was washing that day.

After a run through the washer and dryer, here's what came out:
The stain is still there.  Darn it. I was really hoping this would work.  There are a couple of factors you might want to consider when doing this.  My stain was a couple of washes old already, so it was set in.  If it's a new stain, it may work, and if I come across a fresh grease stain in the near future, which is a distinct possibility, I will try it.  Also, the fabric is 100% cotton, and other fabrics might do better.  But to sum it all up...

Is it worth it?  Sure, if you have some chalk on hand like I did, give it a try.

Is it worth the mess?  Pretty much mess-free, which I whole-heartedly endorse.

Would I recommend it?  In this case, no.  It didn't work.

So there you go folks.  Keep the suggestions coming!

2 comments:

  1. Darn, I was hoping that one would have worked! Thanks for checking it out! Btw, I had no idea you were a grease magnet! I am, too! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried the combination of the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap and that works pretty good, even on old stains.
    And BTW I love reading all of your experiments. :)

    ReplyDelete